We did it! On May 30th, 2018 Illinois officially became the 37th state to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment!
ERA advocates in Illinois have been working tirelessly for years. This success has been the culmination of efforts from hundreds of dedicated activists. Each and every one of you made this happen. Thank you for every witness slip, phone call, letter, lobby visit, and social media post!
We’d like to take a moment and personally thank some of the people whose unyielding devotion were instrumental in this success: Rep. Lou Lang, Sen. Heather Steans, Rep. Steve Andersson, Annie Williams, Lisa Kiahara, Kat Modisette, Kay Printy Moss, Sally Pancrazio, Brittany Miller, Paula Purdue, Jennifer Camile Lee, Michele Fadely, Sue Friedman, AJ Conroy, Susan Bramlet Lavin, Heather Reed Dykes, Kamala Lopez, Natalie White, Lizzy Jagger, Holly Altemus Fingerle, and Linda Coberly.
Ways to show your support.
Help Retire Those ‘No’ Votes
Celebrate this victory with us by donating to candidates to replace those who voted against women. This should be their last term in office!
- $5.30 (To commemorate the date Illinois ratified the ERA)
- $24 (The 24 words of the ERA)
- $37 (Illinois is the 37th state to ratify)
- $72.45 (The vote tally in the House)
- $97 (Number of years between proposal of the ERA and IL ratification)
- McDermed (R-37) opposition: Matthew Hunt
- Ives (R-42) opposition: Kathleen Carrier
- Bellock (R-47) opposition: James Caffrey
- Breen (R-48) opposition: Terra Costa Howard
- Fortner (R-49) opposition: Karina Villa
- Wheeler, K. (R-50) opposition: James Leslie
- Morrison (R-54) opposition: Maggie Trevor
- Jeisel (R-61) opposition: Joyce Mason
- Cabello (R-68) opposition: Jake Castanza
- Sosnowski (R-68) opposition: Angelique Bodine
- McCombie (R-71) opposition: Joan Padilla
- Long (R-76) opposition: Lance Yednock
- Parkhurst (R-79) opposition: Lisa Dugan
- Sommer (R-88) opposition: Jill Blair
- Stewart (R-89) opposition: Nicholas Hyde
- Demmer (R-90) opposition: Amy Davis
- Unes (R-91) opposition: Carolyn Blodgett
- Hammond (R-93) opposition: John Curtis
- Bourne (R-95) opposition: Dillon Clark
- Batnick (R-97) opposition: Mica Freeman
- Jimenez (R-99) opposition: Marc Bell
- Mitchell, B (R-101) opposition: Jennifer McMillin
- Cavaletto (R-107) opposition: David Seiler
- Phillips (R-110) opposition: Shirley Bell
- Bristow (R-111) opposition: Mike Babcock
- Bryant (R-115) opposition: Marsha Griffin
- Severin (R-117) opposition: Jason Woolard
As I’m sure you are well aware, we aren’t done yet. We need to get the deadline removed from the ERA and we need 1 more state to ratify it. SJRes 5 to remove the deadline currently has 36 co-sponsors with out a single Republican among them. Senator Chuck Grassley has the power to move this bill out of committee, where it has sat for a year and half. Please call him and ask him to bring SJRes 5 for a vote. His number is (202) 224-3744. And send him a postcard.
North Carolina is the only state with the ERA left on the table this year. Please submit a witness slip to get it out of committee. All US citizens are eligible to fill out a witness slip in NC. Just leave district blank.